Tuesday, November 02, 2010

When I posted here several months ago I mentioned that I was working on a piece that needed some hand embroidery to be added.  This was a fun project - something different and incorporating several different techniques.

Here is a photo of  my Fish Out Of Water





I collaged several fabrics onto a mottled yellow background.  I made a stencil from a fish drawing and when I cut it out I was careful to keep the remaining stencil material intact so that I could use it too.
Then I painted the fish image onto the quilt using the stencil and acrylic paint.  When it was dry I thought that more contrast was needed around the fish so I used the "fish" part of the stencil and painted around the outline.


I outlined the collage pieces with perle cotton and added embroidery to the fish.  Then I added some beads and a button eye to accent the fish.

      
Finally I stitched and beaded a spray of coral.
                                                                                                  
I used a pillowcase type of backing and accented the edges with a perle cotton running stitch.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Terrific fish!! I think you are finding your style without any problem!!